Monday, June 20, 2011

My friend got arrested in GA with two charges

QUESTION:       My friend got arrested in GA with two charges: (1) criminal trespass; and (2) entering auto.  He broke a car window, took glasses, papers and teddy bear. How bad is this?  He has a public defender, any benefits by getting private defender?
ANSWER:         Any felony offense is a problem, and entering auto is a felony offense.  With no prior record though, he should get probation, with a fine and some community service. The real problem, which the public defender will never address (which most attorneys will not address) is: Why did your friend commit the offenses.  Without the answer to why, some other stupid sh#t (breaking into a vehicle to take a teddy bear qualifies as stupid sh#t) will occur, and he will be back in jail with a violation of probation. So it is just as important to understand why he did it, as it is to resolve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.