Saturday, June 25, 2011

I was charged with a theft by shoplifting misdemeanor

QUESTION:      
      I was charged with a theft by shoplifting misdemeanor, value of the items were13.33 and it was food taken because I didn’t have the money to pay for food and people in my dwelling including myself had nothing to eat. I was given the standard disposition 12 months’ probation, 40 hrs community service and a hefty fine, as well as spent 7 days in jail, I feel that this was an injustice, the time spent in jail was enough. I have no job and no car or reliable source of transportation there for making it difficult as well as a hardship to comply with these orders.  What can I do about this?  Can I appeal?  Also can I get a public defender for this? Please tell me what can I do?
ANSWER:         You can return to court and ask the judge to reconsider the sentence in its entirety (unlikely to work), or ask the judge to convert more of the fine to community service. You need to do as much community service as you can. Why do I think that? You told me. You are in a place where you don`t have $ 15 in your pocket for food. The people in your company do not have $ 15 for food. You do not have a car or a job. Therefore, you need to retrain your mind. You need to find employment, and a better group of people to keep your company. If you volunteer with Habitats for Humanity you will be introduced to people who can substantially improve your situation. First, you can get training on how to lay tile or hardwood, or learn plumbing work, and maybe even land a job. Second, you can get connected to folks that can help you find decent housing. Third, you will improve your company. OR you can continue down the road you are on, which will clearly result in a prison sentence, for something that you did not do.
There is no appeal to a guilty plea. You can ask the judge to withdraw the plea, but since you were in jail for 7 days before you entered the plea, I know that you were not drunk of high when you entered the plea. The judge will not appoint a public defender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.