Monday, October 31, 2011

You don`t need to be a bad person to go to prison

The greatest misconception in America today is that you have to be a bad person to go to prison.  If I had a nickel for every client and potential client that I have met, who has exclaimed “I am not a bad person” I would be a very rich man today.  By bad they often mean evil, sinister, corrupt, and devoid of all empathy for other human beings.  Only recently have I figured out why clients uniformly proclaim their disassociation from this nefarious group of ubiquitous bad people. There are often two different rationales, depending upon the type of charge and the plea offer from the prosecutor.

 First, there are the folks that are facing prison sentences.  They deny they are bad people because they mistakenly believe that the prosecutor would only recommend a prison sentence to a bad person.  The thought goes something like this:

The prosecutor, being a reasonable and intelligent person, must know that prison is a scary, dangerous and violent place where no thoughtful and caring human being would ever be able to survive.  The prosecutor, knowing the dangers of such a place, would never recommend that a good, thoughtful, Christian/Buddhist/Jewish/other person like myself should live in such a place for an extended period of time – a place where surely my humanity and compassion will make me a target and victim.  So, the prosecutor must not know that I am a good person.  I need to reemphasize, even to the point of contacting the prosecutor while I am represented by counsel, that I am a good person, or at a minimum “I am not a bad person.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.