Sunday, October 23, 2011

How do I select a good criminal defense attorney?


February 2011 will mark the start of my twelfth year as a criminal defense attorney.  I spent the first four and a half years, after graduating from Cornell Law School, working as a state prosecutor, both in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Atlanta, Georgia. The last eleven years, I have defended individuals accused of all types of crimes.  During those fifteen years, I worked an average of seventy hours a week, and saw my fair share of justice and lunacy. 

If you have been arrested and/or charged with a criminal offense, you are about to enter the arcane world of criminal law. My first piece of advice in selecting a good criminal defense attorney is similar to the advice offered in selecting a good attorney: Have a trusted family attorney, or family friend that practices law, refer you to a criminal defense attorney. If you do not have such a resource, then you need to take heed of the following advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.