Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Duluth

Question: My boyfriend was arrested on some serious charges the other day. That night, the lead investigator came to me and said he would not charge me for the same crimes if I acted as a witness. I was scared and I accepted his arrangement. Because I was threatened with jail and the possibility of YEARS in jail, I told him what he wanted to hear. The things I told him implicate my boyfriend and myself. Now I dont want to testify because I feel its wrong that what I said could ruin his life. Im willing to face contempt of court but is it possible to avoid that by refusing to testify due to my fifth ammendment rights? I cant implicate my boyfriend without implicating myself right? I don't trust the investigator to just let me go just like that.

Answer: Here is how it will go. You will assert your fifth amendment privilege. The prosecutor will grant you immunity from prosecution, thereby eliminating the fifth amendment privilege. Then when you refuse to testify the judge will ordered you jailed in contempt of court until you decide to testify. I have not seen anyone last more than a week in jail. I would love to read an answer by any other attorney, because I assure you they are guessing as to what will happen. I have lived thru it on more than half a dozen occasions.

Answered By Lawrence Lewis - Criminal Defense Lawyer in Duluth

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.