Thursday, August 25, 2011

Criminal Defense Attorney in Duluth

Question: If my wife and I are renting a room from my mother, and a search warrant is executed on her residence, can the officers legally search the room my wife and i rent or is that considered a seperate dwelling even though its in the same building?

Answer: The officer typically can search the room, unless it has a lock on the door, and it is clear that she does not have access to the room. If the warrant is for items that point to a crime that your mother is involved in, and there is a lock on your door and your mother tells the police she does not have access to your room, and the police have to break off the lock off of your door, then typically the judge will suppress the evidence against you, which means the officer will search, find the items, but the judge may not allow the items to be used against you. The items may still be used against your mother. 

Answered By Lawrence Lewis - Criminal Defense Attorney in Duluth

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.