Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bond Hearing

 If the Magistrate Court judge cannot set a bond pursuant to O.C.G.A. 17-6-1 (charges that only a Superior Court judge can set bond on, include murder, rape, aggravated sodomy, armed robbery, hijacking a motor vehicle, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, trafficking cocaine/heroin/meth/ecstasy, aggravated stalking), the defense attorney may file a bond motion, and request a bond hearing date before a Superior Court judge.  The Superior Court judge will conduct a pre-trial bond hearing, where judge will consider four factors:
(1)    Defendant’s criminal history, and the likelihood that he/she is a risk to commit additional felonies while on bond;

(2)    Defendant’s history of missing court dates, and the likelihood that he/she will flee from the jurisdiction of the court, or fail to appear in court when required;

(3)    Defendant’s character, and the likelihood that he/she poses a threat or danger to any person, to the community or to any property in the community; and

(4)    Defendant’s propensity for violence, and the likelihood that he/she will intimidate witnesses or otherwise obstruct the administration of justice.
If the judge sets a bond, it will be one of four types of bond:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.