Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Three Games The Accused Does Not Want To Play With The Prosecutor

About four years ago, I was appointed to represent a fifteen year old juvenile charged as an adult with aggravated child molestation, which in Georgia carried a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison, which meant that the juvenile defendant, IF he was found guilty, would have to serve thirty (30) years in prison before he was even eligible for parole.  The victim was his eight year old cousin.  The juvenile defendant had been interviewed by detectives, to whom he had made a full confession.  Recognizing the weight of the evidence, I explained to the juvenile’s mother and aunt that the best case scenario, given the confession, was to have the case transferred from the adult court to Juvenile Court, which would probably mean that the juvenile would face a straight five years in a Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) facility.  When mom burst out in tears after hearing about the five years, I knew we would go down the “games” road.  I thought she would breathe a sigh of relief at the five years of incarceration, considering I had just mentioned a mandatory minimum of thirty years in prison, just five minutes earlier.  When she was able to collect herself, her questions, reflecting the “games”, began. 

(1)    THE WHAT HAPPENS IF THE WITNESS DOES NOT SHOW UP GAME 

What happens IF the child/victim does not show up in court?  Although this question is typically asked in the context of a criminal offense involving a civilian victim (e.g. burglary, child molestation, aggravated assault, domestic violence, aggravated stalking, etc.), I have heard the question when the only witnesses are police officers (e.g. drug offenses, fleeing and attempting to elude, DUI, escape, etc.).  The simple answer: IF THE VICTIM OR WITNESS DOES NOT SHOWS UP, ALL OF THE CHARGES WILL BE DISMISSED.  The more complete answer: IN THE FOURTEEN YEARS I HAVE BEEN A DEFENSE ATTORNEY, ONLY A HANDFUL OF FELONIES HAVE BEEN DISMISSED BECAUSE THE WITNESS FAILED TO APPEAR IN COURT.  How many?  Maybe twenty (20) cases out of twenty-five hundred (2500) cases, which is less than one percent, which means you should not rely on the witness to fail to appear in court to make a decision on how you should proceed.

Click here to read the full article

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.