Wednesday, October 16, 2013

How do I find a mentor?

I have attended a number of seminars since school formally ended in 1995.  I have repeatedly heard different speakers recommend that audience members seek out mentors.  While I suspect that it is widely accepted that acquiring a mentor is invaluable for gaining in-depth insight and experience in a particular area, I also expect that most people are like me in that they either: (1) do not want to pay for mentoring (if money is involved it starts to smell like tutoring, not mentoring); and/or (2) do not know where to begin their search for a mentor.  Some folks go to church for their guidance, but I have found that the pastor quoting First Peter, chapter 3, verse 7 [“likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them (wives) according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife”] – does not help me gain any actual knowledge into how I need to conduct myself as a husband.  I continue to search for mentors in the five areas most germane to my life: 
  1. Transformational Growth
  2. Health 
  3. Finance and Money 
  4. Marriage  
  5. Child Rearing 
While I search, I read and contemplate.  Because clients have many of the struggles and concerns that have been addressed in the materials I have read, I have often recommended reading material.  Please 
find attached my reading list.  I will continue to add more books that I find useful.  Most of the recommended material that follows can be found in both book and CD form at the local library.  I 
have listened to the probably 80% of the material for free, before I ever purchased the book for my library.  I have read and/or listened to every book I recommend.  While the subject matter is not in order 
of importance, because for some marriage may trump health right now, while for others health trumps child rearing, the materials are organized by the impact that they made in my life.  Happy journey.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.