Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Drug Defense Attorney in Lawrenceville

Question: Without my knowledge, and undercover team of drug cops followed my husband and I from a convenience store to the hardware store, pulled up beside us, and caught us completely off guard when they jumped out of the truck they were in and one came to each window. At that time, they asked us for our id's as another unmarked car pulled up behind us with 2 more men in it, and then the cop on my husbands side asked him what the bulge was in his pocket, let me see. It was a bottle of pills that weren't in his name, and he was arrested for possession sch 3 w/intent. After they took my hubby to jail, I asked him what made him stop me. He said "technically i didn't stop you, but you do have a brake light out and an expired tag, all i did was pull up beside you, but i followed you in here because you look like someone i'm looking for." my question is, since he didn't pull us over, did we have the right to say no you cant have my id and its none of your business whats in my pocket, or was it illegal search and seizure, because mistaking me for someone else isn't probable cause? I know my 4th amendment rights, and I'm protected from unreasonable police intrusions, and i know he was in our vehicle, the bottle was not visible from outside the car while in his pocket. Is mistaken identity considered probable cause or reasonable suspicion?

Answer:  First, you don't know your 4th amendment rights. Otherwise you would have handled the situation totally differently. Second, the police lied to you about you looking like someone else. You and your husband were stopped because they received info that you and/or your husband are involved in the distribution of drugs. However, the police did not want to tell you all of that on the road. So, he lied to you. SO, you can mull that lie over in your head a few thousand times. 

Answered by Lawrence Lewis  - Drug Defense Attorney in Lawrenceville

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.