Monday, February 24, 2014

Im 17, a female said me and my friend stole her phone and beat her up because

Question: Im 17, a female said me and my friend stole her phone and beat her up because we had a verbal argument, She has no witnesses yet the police took us to jail where we spent multiple days, While there no detective or anybody talked to us, I was charged with robbery and simple battery. I have received the police report and there are two, they say entirely different stories and are mixed up, she has no witnesses, and she called the police from the supposed phone that we stole. I don`t know the proper steps, but i thought that if two males beat on a female there would be a medical report. No ambulance was called. Now we are awaiting trial and i don`t realize why this is not being thrown out. I have never been in trouble and im just confused. The only bad thing we did was say we were not there and she ripped my shirt trying to hit me and pull on me, Other than that i dont know and im scared...I had no idea they consider you an adult at 17 in Georgia, i have never been in trouble

Answer: What you don`t know could fill a football stadium. You were arrested because the "victim" appeared credible. You were taken to adult jail, because you are an adult at 17 in the criminal justice system. When you are in jail, the detective does not have to get your version of events. You are charged with an offense. You can retain an attorney, or ask for the judge to appoint an attorney, but your case will get resolved in the courthouse, not the detective`s office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.