Sunday, September 22, 2013

Felony Attorneys Lawrenceville

Question: My husband is 43 years of age and has never been in trouble before...We had just got papers for him to appear in court on June 17, 2011 for charges back about 2 years ago...This happen in Madison County GA...He is charge with theft by taking-felony...He had taken some old mobile home axles on someone property for scrap to get money...This is his first offense...He is sorry for doing this and we are worried if he will serve any time for this? Can you give us and answer? Is it possible that he could just get a fine and probation..main thing is worried if he could serve time or will serve time is what we would like to know...He just made a wrong decison of thinking.....thanks!

Answer: Because he has no prior record, the judge will probably give him probation, community service and a fine. While you may think that is fantastic news, I reality it is not fantastic news. Why? Because you have indicated that your husband is dealing with hard times. First, he will have a harder time finding employment with a felony conviction. Every week people call asking how to get the charge (where they happily agreed to probation) expunged from their record, because they cannot find employment. The conviction will not be expunged. Second, related to the hard time, if he cannot meet his obligations while on probation, or stops reporting to probation because he cannot meet his obligations (probation supervision fee, community service b/c he does not have gas for the car), or has another lapse in judgment, the judge will send him directly to jail. While no one thinks about violating probation, half of the justice system deals with probation violations. Therefore, I would suggest trying to hire an attorney to assist you. 

Answered By Lawrence Lewis - Felony Defense Attorney

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I hung a shingle in February 2000, because I saw that individuals charged with criminal offenses were being underserved by the attorneys practicing criminal law. Since February 2000, I have represented more than two thousand criminal clients. I only practice criminal law, but I do everything from violations of probation to Supreme Court appeals. There are few attorneys under the age of sixty that have my level of experience. I have tried more than two hundred major felony jury trials. I have tried more than fifty misdemeanor jury trials. In Philadelphia as a prosecutor, I tried more than two thousand bench trials. I have conducted more than three thousand preliminary hearings and bond hearings. Yet, I still have the energy at forty-five to serve my current clients. There is nothing that will occur in a courtroom that I have not experienced before. When you are looking for an attorney, experience is everything.